Nutrient deficiencies cause various health issues, and apparently, we become completely aware of their importance when we experience them.
Magnesium is extremely important for our body as it sustains life, and supports the function of all body organs, but numerous people are deficient of it.
It helps the production of enzymes and energy and regulates the levels of other nutrients needed by the body. The proper magnesium intake affects the health of the bones and teeth as well. Therefore, we should regularly consume foods rich in magnesium.
The deficiency of this metal leads to:
-Muscular weakness and spasms
-Irregular heart beats
-Difficulty falling asleep
-Feelings of anxiety, irritability, and confusion
The proper intake of magnesium might soothe or treat the following conditions:
- Diabetes- Clinical studies have revealed that the increased intake of this mineral lowers the type 2 diabetes risk. Also, magnesium supplements regulate blood sugar levels and boost the sensitivity to insulin.
- Hypertension or high blood pressure- The blood pressure is successfully normalized with the help of magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Therefore, regularly consume dairy products with a reduced content of fat.
- Depression-magnesium deficiency leads to reduced serotonin levels, which is the happiness hormone. Studies have shown that magnesium is as effective as antidepressants in the treatment of depression.
- Asthma- A study which involved children aged 11-19 and adults has shown that inadequate dietary magnesium intake is linked to asthma. Magnesium, if inhaled through a nebulizer and given intravenously, soothes asthmatic attacks in both children and adults.
- RSL or the restless leg syndrome-This syndrome is manifested by unpleasant feelings in the legs. Yet, studies showed that magnesium improves sleep in the RSL patients and alleviates cramps and pains.
- Osteoporosis- Magnesium is essential for healthy bones, along with vitamin D and calcium. The proper intake of magnesium, combined with exercise and balanced diet will lower the risk of this disease.
- Fibromyalgia, or chronic pain in the muscles and bones- It has been scientifically found that the combination of magnesium and malic acid for 2 months soothes the pain and sensitivity due to fibromyalgia. Magnesium supplements also help young cystic fibrosis patients by boosting the muscle stamina.
- Arrhythmia and heart conditions-Magnesium is of high importance for the proper work of the heart, and it reduces the risk of developing serious heart conditions, such as coronary heart disease and cardiac arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat.
- The magnesium intake for a year improved the survival rates of patients with congestive heart failure.
- Colorectal cancer-The intake of magnesium reduces the risk of colorectal malignant growths.
- Preeclampsia- The root cause of this pregnancy –induced condition is still unknown, but it is the main reason for the lethal outcomes in mothers and babies worldwide. Intravenously given magnesium is the best treatment for reducing high blood pressure due to preeclampsia.
On the other hand, there are numerous foods which can help you increase the magnesium levels in the body, such as cocoa, bananas, nuts, cruciferous vegetables, and whole grains. Furthermore, the following herbs are abundant in magnesium:
This herb with refreshing scent contains magnesium in high levels.
This herb can be added to potatoes, eggs, fish, and green beans, as well as with yogurt and cucumber.
Thyme has a strong, refreshing and unique flavor, and is high in vitamin C, iron, fiber, and magnesium.
This ancient herb can be an extremely healthy addition to your soups, salads, and stews.Experts maintain that it effectively removes heavy metals from the system, and is also a rich source of vitamin C, K, and A, and magnesium.
Basil is an aromatic, versatile, and enriching herb which is abundant in various nutrients, including magnesium.
Hence, we suggest putting magnesium as your top priority and make the necessary changes in the diet to incorporate it into your daily menu, in order to significantly boost your overall health.